VP of Engineering – New York
VP of Engineering (Big Data, Spark) | New York | $180,000 – £200,000 per year
A high-growth start-up are having their best year ever and is looking for a hands-on VP of Engineering to lead on data initiatives. Data is at the very core of the business; their product offering includes a platform that uses publicly available data to understand social relationships and advise clients on how to engage with hard-to-reach audiences.
From a technical perspective, this means there is a vast amount of big data that needs to be manipulated, structured, and stored appropriately. You will also be building tools for non-technical users so they can gain actionable insights. The complex structure of how this big data environment comes together is going to be your challenge to solve.
What you will be doing:
- Acting as the most senior technology expert for the organization
- Sit on the leadership team and strategize the direction of data initiatives
- Get your hands dirty on the technical side: you’ll be a part data architect, engineering manager and data engineer
- Build big data products from scratch using cutting-edge tools and technology
- Collaborate with the senior leaders including the Director of Product and VP of Analytics
- Inherit a superstar team consisting of a data engineer, a full-stack engineer and a senior data scientist
- Hire your own teammates where it is appropriate – they’re a growing business!
What you will need to succeed in this role:
- 8+ years of software or data engineering experience
- Experience within a start-up or similar environment
- Have long stints in your previous employment, demonstrating growth with a company
- Proven success building big data products – ideally having used Spark
- Strong programming skills with Python and backend frameworks like Django or Flask
- Good experience with cloud-native platforms like AWS, GCP or Azure
- Proven experience deploying secure cloud applications
- Well-rounded experience with front-end frameworks like React or Angular
- Be based in New York – although flexible working will be encouraged, the office is in Midtown Manhattan for when we’re permitted back
What you will be rewarded with for your efforts:
- Competitive salary – let’s discuss this!
- 75% contribution towards medical and dental
- HSA and FSA through BenefitWallet
- OneMedical: On-demand primary care free to all employees whether you use their insurance or not
- 401(k): matched contribution after 1 year of employment
- Commuter benefits through WageWorks
- Workstation budget to personalize your space in-office or home space
- 20 days of accrued vacation and 10 personal days annually for things like non-national recognized holidays, personal emergencies, appointments, etc.
- More! Let’s discuss.
This opportunity is perfect for someone who wants to remain hands-on technically but is ready to lead on an organization’s data initiative. You will be supported by an all-star cast of passionate individuals who will give you the necessary tools to help this company succeed.